Balancing Family, Work and Home
YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT YOU OUGHT TO DO ARE VERY POWERFUL AND CAN BE THE BEGINNING OF THE CONFLICT BETWEEN WORK AND HOME. SET YOUR PRIORITIES AND THEN HELP OTHERS TO UNDERSTAND YOUR CHOICES. DISTINGUISH BETWEEN REASONABLE AND UNREASONABLE DEMANDS ON YOUR TIME.
- Be where you are - at work, think about work and at home, think about home.
- Remember that people are more important than things.
- Think more about the positive things your children do and less about the negative.
- Accept a standard for housekeeping that gives you room for other things.
- Let go – you don’t have to do everything yourself; delegate to your spouse, partner, children, colleague, secretary, work group.
- Learn to say “no” to those things that won’t matter in 5 years.
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
- Laugh a lot; read cartoons, watch funny movies, find friends that tell jokes, watch and listen to your children.
- Talk with friends, spouse, your parents or siblings.
- Take care of your health: eat well and exercise.
- Have interests outside of your family or work.
- If you are feeling overwhelmed, stressed or out of sorts, find out why.
Jane M. Chafin, LCSW, ACSW